Thursday, July 31, 2008

Polishing

Last week I had unexpected complications trying to polish translations. Some things like content type names were almost a battle. I finished having to write my own widgets for displaying translated content type names using portal_types.getTypeInfo.

I preferred my own widgets for multi-selects also cause I did not find any of the default ones not needing javascript to function properly. Did I miss something?

Later I realized that the set up form I made about a month ago was not based on plone.z3cform but in formlib, so my new widget wasn't able to work there. I could create another widget (a formlib one) but instead I preferred to unify the code, and use plone.z3cform only, so I re wrote that form.
In that re-writting I seriously improved the way that data is managed, using an IDataManager provider instead of silly formlib handlers. I'm happy with that. Things looks much more clear now :)
Surprises not ended there. The template I had for the setup page wasn't working with a plone.z3cform.

For the selector page I also had to create a textwidget for Content types names translated.

With all those changes, I created a complete spanish translation that is now in the code.

I'm a little ashamed, but the work mentioned above consumed most of the last days work time. Anyways, I feel that the quality of the things re-done is higher. I'm feeling more comfortable every day with how development is going.

The other tiny thing I did was a more serious testing of the plone.app.batch functionalities with 3rd party content types.

Warning: I made some tiny changes in the installation profile. Re install plone.app.batch or you will find some broken links.

Take a look how is working plone.app.batch with Martin Aspeli Optilux Cinema content types:


The last thing I have to tell you is that I'm preparing a talk for showing plone.app.batch development inside the Google Summer of Code program for 8th Jornadas Regionales de Software Libre. Is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) south American free software event, and this year will be in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I hope to be giving the talk with the GSoC t-shirt :). Wish me luck.

No comments: